Brothers

Branded

We will start off with an easy one.

Can someone name the two full brothers that ran 1st and 2nd in the Melbourne Cup.

The next year the 2nd horse did what ........

He was taken to England and won a couple of races.

Name the trainer and jockey who took him......

You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

If you get the chance,have a sticky-beak at the mares and what they have achieved on Sir Dragonets bottom line.

When you look through the Bloodlines of Verry Elleegant you would have to think she will be a top mum.

On both sides of her pedigree you see wonderful horses.

There are reports her sire Zed fathers Draught Horses.

He must be a big strong fella.

I hope I live long enough to see Verry Elleegants progeny.

Whilst on the subject I have been a leading sire myself.(but that’s for others to judge)

Just read an article from the Sydney Morning Herald relating to Martello Towers dated April 5 2007.

It states Martello Towers didn’t drown.

Wow i’ve thought for all those years he did drown.

Well that’s made my day

I won’t spoil the article for anyone if you wish to read it.

But they did say his Name was Pinky as you will understand when you read the article.

Forget what I typed in to find it.Think  it was Martello Towers drowns.

Re Martello towers, I remember him as well. I've got a few pictures of him in a horse racing  scrap book I kept in the early 1960s when I was a teenager.

You got the money King.

You will always have those wonderful memories with your family.

Fort Denison Sydney Harbour, originally built to defend against the Russians.

The reason I know all this is that we visited same on my son's 16th birthday (historical building high school project) .

The really cool thing for him was that when they foound out it was his birthday they selected him to fire the one o'clock gun (cannon)

Martello Towers was one of my favourite horses.He was a terrific horse,He won one of the Guineas and the derby as I remember. 

He was a grey and I adored him.I was only a kid and I was devastated when he drowned in the floods,in the early 60’s I think.

If anyone knows what a Martello Tower is They May be able to answer this question.

Where is the only Martello Tower in Australia ?

Answers

Question 1.Was answered by 

Todman(N.Sellwood)

Question 2. Answer is Sailors Guide sired the mare Navy Band who was the dam of Cortan who won 28 races and became a leading sire.Cortan inducted into Hall Of Fame same year as jockeys Bill Hartack who Had a short period in Hong Kong,and Eddie Maple.

If anyone wants to see the full race I have just seen that race on YouTube.

Scobie Breasley is also riding in the race.

Vincent O’Brien has Ballymoss  in the race.Scobie riding him.

Willie Shoemaker is also riding.

The margin was 3 1/2 lengths.

Type in Sailors Guide Washington International.

You got him Todman.Great stuff.

This Washington International race you heard Todman was a walk up start.One horse appeared to be facing the wrong way and got left behind.

Tudor Era won by six lengths but lost the race.If you interfered with another horse you lost the race.I think they needed the Sheriff to sort that one.

We will wait to see if someone can come up with the second answer.

the horse was Sailors Guide - I listened to him win the Washington DC race live on our wireless - don't know other answers

well the horse was Sailor's Guide but I have no idea re other questions - I remember listening, live on our wireless, to his win (on protest) in the Washington race 

Can someone name the horse who Won the Sydney Cup and other top class races and left these shores to race successfully in the U.S.

He sired a mare who was the dam of a very nice chap who won 28 races and became a very successful sire.

1. Name the horse who left these shores.

2. Name the horse who won 28 races and became a successful sire.

It’s easy when you know the answer..Tar.

Yes King every horse has a story.

Looking at Wakefuls pedigree is fascinating.

Juliet dam of Chrysolite is on both sides of Wakeful’s pedigree.

lOne of her daughters Sylvia won the Oaks and then became the mother of Martini Henry(Derby&Melborne Cup)and Champion sire Goldsbrough.

You could spend hours looking through her bloodlines.

Interesting, had this horse not survived the ship wreck ther would not have ever been a WAKEFUL

Whilst Redwood - the other horse to survive - was never quite the same after the catastrophe, The Chrysolite Colt was by no means licked yet.

Fully recovered and now fittingly known as Robinson Crusoe, the miracle three-year-old went on to become one of the finest racehorses in the country.

'The shipwreck horse' claimed six stakes races in 1877 alone (for a career total of ten) and would establish an influential legacy in the breeding barn, with superstar racemare Wakeful amongst his descendants.

Wakeful would have to be up there as one of the greatest mares bred on this country.

Would any of you clever people out there know where Wakeful is buried.

Should have been Regal Star 1929 NOT Regal Star 1029, sorry about that

Wakeful's grandaughter Eumilia 1924 produced two Stakes Winners:

geld, King's Knave 1927 who won the 1934 ARC Hcp PR

geld. Tapestry 1930 won 1936 Newcastle Cup PR

Another grandaughter Regal Fleur 1922 also produced two stakes winners:

Stallion, Regal Light 1943 who won 1949 AJC Winter Stakes PR

geld. Regal Star 1029 won 1935 Tatt's Qld Tattersall's Cup PR and the 1935 QTC Exhibition Hcp PR

More to follow

You are a very intelligent sorta gal Gladys.I’m hoping you can help us find some category 1 horses.

It is not easy,you can tell by my pic to see how much I have aged trying to find same.

King has set a very fast pace and I’m really struggling.

Every horse has a story Gladys and I hope one day you might whisper in my ear what yours is. She 

Are you another of poor Gary's aliases Branded.

Your description of the srroundings, is that the mental institution in which you and Gary's other personalities such as King are presently being held involuntarily?

Hopefully Chakvetadze can help keep the line going.

Should be nice mares through Lord Dudley.

Sorry Branded but I dont think Gladys will be accepting your offer of a dance as I am sure that she will find any form of dancing  still very difficult after having had her [email protected]% pulled down and very much still twised around her ankles, 

Or put more simply I dare say that she still has her knickers in a knot after having her [email protected] pulled down by her KING.

We all know that she gave up in the end after succumbing to relentless intellectual bashing time and time again from her doninant KING.

PS

Branded I have found a number of direct female Stakes Winning descendants of the great mare Wakeful.

And no Gladys you wont find them on Google dopey.

I will publish same when I get a little more free time.

Welcome to the big dance Gladys.I have just had the floors polished,I hope you like them.There’s coffee and biscuits on the table,just help yourself.Theres a telephone on the wall if you would like a wager with the Bookmaker.Make yourself comfortable and enjoy your stay.I hope you can participate in our exploits.

This is how you end up when what is left of your senses totally collapses under the strain of not being able to name one decent horse that Winx beat.

You spend your waking hours pounding away on Google trying to impress people with your perspective on subjects of which you hold no knowledge save what you have found on some other bore's ramblings.

Prince Cortauld. ??

Tried tracing mares that go back to Wakeful but very hard as I’m using my phone.I’m in Sydney at present my puter back in bush.

Whiskey Lover 1977(Whiskey Road xCher Amour) traces to Wakeful.Through him there should be some nice mares around.Wakeful Blood back a long way but be interesting to see any horses racing today that have her in their bloodlines.I’m going to bed !!!!

Branded,

You are right, looks like I clicked on Wakeful GB instead of Wakeful Aus, sorry about that.

I stand corrected, this from Aust Studbook

Wakeful (AUS) 1896

Aust.Id.: 532478    bay mare    Date of Birth: 00/00/1896 

2 stakeswinners & 7 stakeswins  

by Trenton (NZ) 1881  from Insomnia (AUS) 1889         

Stakes Winning Progeny
Winner    Year    Race Name That Year    Status

Blairgour (AUS) 1907    

1910    VATC Memsie Stakes    Pr
1911    VATC Oakleigh Plate    Pr
1911    VATC Futurity Stakes    Pr

Night Watch (AUS) 1913    

1919    WmtnRc Peace Cup    Pr
1919    VRC October Stakes    Pr
1919    VATC Caulfield Stakes    Pr
1918    VRC Melbourne Cup    P

I think Gothic should be category one King.

You are very knowledgeable King but

You might revisit Wakeful’s kids.

Well done to both Todman & Branded with Aqanita & Ajax albeit they both only just qualified (IMO) with wins in 12f elite staying races. 

I was hoping for ones with a longer than 12f staying record in the same year but of course it is widely accepted that 12f & beyond is in fact a staying test.

Therefore if 12f is acceptable then we can also include Amounis who in 1930, won 7f Futurity, 10f VRC Essendon Stakes & the 12f Caulfield Cup.

Branded re your:

"Wakeful would fit the second category."

AGREED!

What a horse she must have been.

So many top class wins including a 24f (approx 4800 m) WFA VRC Queens Plate.

Is it any wonder they named a good race after her.

Unfortunately she did not prove to be much of a broodmare as she only produced the one Stakes winner in St Aldegonde who won the GB Park Hill Stakes PR 14f.

However it is interesting to note as a bit of trivia that Wakeful is the 4th dam of a horse named Osculum who won the 1936 Grafton Cup

Unfortunately many of these great bloodlines have a habit of simply disappearing over time.

Are there any other category ones worthy of mention?

Ajax if Queen Elizabeth is considered an elite staying race.

Ajax

Aquanita

Branded,

I will agree on both of the category 2s.

BUT 

Sorry I can'tagree with you on Taj Rossi as in 1973 he won:

Ascotvale Stakes 1200m only against other 3yos. Further to this this race was aonly a Principal race at the time which eventually became a G2 and it took 33years for it to gain G1 status as a G1 race after Taj rossi's win. (hardly what I would call an elite sprint race eg, Lightning, Oakleigh Plate or newmarket Hcp)

Yes he did win an elite middle distance race in 1973 when winning the Cox Plate.

But as fror winning an elite staying event in 1973 I hardly think that a 2500m VRC Derby only against other 3yos would qualify.

The VRC Derby is not regarded highly by most (except Victorians) as an elite staying event, far too many duds have won this race.

Saintly in 1996 almost qualifies as a category one as he won an Expressway Stakes, Cox Plate & Melb Cup

As does Makybe Diva nearly qualify as a category one in 2005 as she won a Memsie Stakes, Cox Plate & Melb Cup.

And what about poor old Gunsynd, so close but no Cigar in 1972 as he won a Futurity, Cox Plate, a 2500m VRC QE Stakes and then a good 3rd in the Melb Cup.

Does this qualify him as a category one?

Come on Branded there must be other category ones in the records, dont give up just yet!

My final answer is Taj Rossi

Malua fits.

Heroic fits second category.

Wakeful would fit the second category.

Yes, Malua, what an amazing horse he must have been!

He won an Oakleigh plate, Newmarket Hcp, what is now the Mackinnon Stakes, an Adelaide Cup & a Melbourne Cup all in the same year (as well as other top class races)

But I think you may find this a little harder Branded.

Can anyone come up with a horse any horse that had the ability to win even just one of each of the following:

An elite sprint, an elite middle distance race and an elite staying event all in the one calendar year?

OR

For that matter a horse any horse that had the ability to win even just one elite sprint, one elite middle distance race and one elite staying event even if allowed to be spread over multiple years?

Well done King.

You may be correct regarding the hoop.

Bobby Lewis was reported as leaving at that time,but that doesn’t mean he rode The Grafter in England.

Malua

Branded,

I will return serve with this one, also easy I think?

They say a CHAMPION can win at all distances but as we know many supposed CHAMPIONS only perform well in a narrow distance band (Black Caviar, and to a lesser degree WINX) where as a horse like Kingston Town performed well over nearly all distance ranges.

There is one horse which comes to mind that won two elite sprint races, an elite middle distance race and two elite staying races all in the same calendar year (there may be others but I doubt it)

Q1. Who was the horse?

Q2. What year was it?

1st and 2nd in the Melbourne Cup.

1897 Gaullas beat his brother The Grafter into 2nd in the MC

The next year the 2nd horse did what ........

1898 The Grafter won the MC

Name the trainer and jockey who took him......

Trainer was Brewer, was the jockey M Cannon???

The two horses ran 1st and second in the same cup.

Name the two brothers.....

What did the one who ran second accomplish the next year in the same race......

Name the trainer and jockey who took him  to England.....

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts