Broken Hill Racecourse
is located in the famous mining city in the far west of NSW close to the South Australian border.Broken Hill, with a population of more than 20,000, supports two race clubs with the Silver City Racing Club and St Patrick’s Race Club each conducting one meeting annually. Broken Hill racecourse is a large turning sand track of 1900 metres circumference with a home straight of 330 metres. Due to its proximity and connections to South Australia racing is conducted in the anti-clockwise direction. Broken Hill has a long racing history spanning more than a century. The Silver City Racing Club is the senior of the two clubs, having its origins in 1931 when the Broken Hill Jockey Club and Licenced Victualler’s Racing Club amalgamated. Race meetings were held weekly by the Silver City Racing Club at Broken Hill racecourse for many years but the club had to cease trading under instructions from the Australian Jockey Club in 1987 when racing became unviable due to falling nominations and dwindling attendances. The Silver City Racing Club was reborn in 1997 when racing resumed under a new and active committee established the Silver City Cup race meeting annually in October as a community picnic event for families.
In 2006 the Silver City Racing Club became a sub-committee of the St Patrick’s Race Club, enabling both parties to retain their identities and the continuance of two race meetings each year.The St Patrick’s Race Club held its first meeting at Broken Hill racecourse in 1966 to raise money for local Catholic schools and has conducted an annual charity race day in March every year since.
Broken Hill’s St Pat’s race day is now a nationally recognised TAB race meeting and attracts thousands of visitors from around Australia.The popularity of the St Pat’s race meeting has given the race club the largest membership of any country race club in NSW.