Supercars on hold until June due to virus

Supercars rounds in Tasmania, Auckland and Perth have been postponed due to the coronavirus, with no races to take place until at least June.

SCOTT MCLAUGHLIN driver of the #17 Shell V-Power Racing Team Ford Mustang celebrates after winning the Perth Supernight as part of the Supercars Championship at Barbagallo Raceway in Perth, Australia.
SCOTT MCLAUGHLIN driver of the #17 Shell V-Power Racing Team Ford Mustang celebrates after winning the Perth Supernight as part of the Supercars Championship at Barbagallo Raceway in Perth, Australia. Picture: Daniel Kalisz/Getty Images

Supercars has postponed racing until June because of the coronavirus, but organisers are adamant they can still fit in all 14 championship rounds this year.

Rounds in Tasmania, Auckland and Perth have been put on hold, joining last weekend's Australian grand prix event in being delayed.

"Our sport is a visceral experience and rather than run without crowds, we have decided, along with our key broadcast and government partners, to delay any further racing until June," Supercars boss Sean Seamer said.

"Tasmania, Auckland and Perth events will all be postponed until later in the year, not cancelled. Fortunately, our calendar this year enables us to do this.

"Supercars' priority is to deliver the 14-round 2020 championship for our fans and partners, irrespective of the dates.

"Bathurst will obviously proceed on its scheduled date."

During the lay-off period, Seamer said Supercars drivers would race each other in eSports events hosted on social media and Fox Sports.

"Fans will get to see our stars battle it out in a virtual world while we wait to go racing again for real," he said.

Defending champion Scott McLaughlin and Red Bull Holden great Jamie Whincup split the season-opening races in Adelaide last month.

Qualifying for four races in Melbourne was held last Thursday, before the grand prix was cancelled on Friday as the COVID-19 pandemic worsened.


AAP