Franklin disappointed to miss charity game

Sydney coach John Longmire says Swans star Lance Franklin is disappointed to be missing the AFL's State of Origin charity match.

LANCE FRANKLIN of the Swans.
LANCE FRANKLIN of the Swans. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

Sydney star Lance Franklin would have loved to have played in February's State of Origin charity match, according to Swans coach John Longmire.

Franklin, the oldest player in the 2020 Swans squad, is sidelined for around 10 weeks after undergoing an arthroscopy on Monday.

The 33-year-old will miss the State of Origin match next month, with all proceeds of the match being donated to aid bushfire victims.

Longmire will coach the All-Stars team against Victoria at Marvel Stadium, and says Franklin is disappointed to miss out.

"(Missing the State of Origin game) is one of the reasons he was disappointed," Longmire said.

"He said that would have been a great thing to be a part of.

"It's unfortunate for Lance. He was absolutely flying before Christmas. That's the most training he's ever done with us, in that period."

Longmire is confident that Franklin, who previously had the same operation on his other knee, will bounce back from the injury.

Franklin only managed 10 games in 2019 because of hamstring injuries.

"We decided to have an operation (to) get it done now, and that gives him the opportunity to play the majority of the season. That's what we're looking forward to," Longmire said.

"He had the same operation a couple of years ago on his other leg, and it's been terrific since.

"It's just one of those things that happens. His other knee is terrific after having that done, so that gives us confidence to go in and do it and know that he'll bounce back really well."

Franklin is likely to be unavailable when Sydney start their season against Adelaide on March 21.


AAP