England won't moan about their suboptimal preparation for the women's Ashes, having worked tirelessly and done some "soul searching" after a lopsided series loss to Australia in 2019.
The multi-format contest starts on Thursday night, when Adelaide Oval hosts the first of three Twenty20s.
Australia's plans for retaining the urn have been rocked by gun opener Beth Mooney's broken jaw.
England's path to the series opener, which was brought forward as part of a schedule rejig sparked by the need to quarantine in New Zealand for the ensuing World Cup, has been even more complicated.
They were restricted to training with household members before departing home in an effort to limit the risk of contracting COVID-19.
Rain in Canberra made it hard to shake off rust, as evidenced by losses to England A.
A member of the squad's support staff also tested positive for COVID-19, meaning they couldn't board the flight to South Australia.
Captain Heather Knight admitted her squad's "tricky build-up" had been "quite average".
"But there's not a lot we can do about it," Knight said.
"There's no point moaning about it and using it as an excuse.
"We feel in a really good place. T20 is one of our strongest formats, so I think that will suit us quite nicely.
"A lot of us have got experience playing T20 over here as well, either in the Big Bash or previous Ashes trips."
The women's Ashes is decided via a points system.
Australia retained the urn in 2017-18 after the rivals were locked at 8-8.
The 2019 series in England proved more of a mismatch, with the visitors cruising to a 12-4 victory.
"We massively underperformed, we didn't play anywhere near our potential," Knight said.
"Everything we've done since then, it's about addressing that.
"When you have a big loss like that, it leaves a bit of soul searching and (thinking about) what you can do better.
"Also trying to remember what you have done well ... we've built as a group.
"We've got more leaders in the side for sure."