Netball's Quad Series cancelled

Netball Australia remain hopeful of playing Tests against New Zealand later this year after announcing September's Quad Series has been cancelled.

STACEY FRANCIS.
STACEY FRANCIS. Picture: James Worsfold/Getty Images

The Quad Series has been scratched, leaving Australia targeting the four-Test series against New Zealand as their only possible taste of international netball this year.

Netball Australia on Sunday announced the cancellation of September's four-nation tournament, also involving England and South Africa, which was to be staged at venues on both sides of the Tasman.

NA executive general manager of performance Stacey West said restrictions on international travel made the tournament an unrealistic proposition.

Australia have won five of the six editions of the Quad Series, including the last three.

A four-Test Constellation Cup series against world champions New Zealand was still in the pipeline, West said.

"It's a significant blow to our Diamonds program, we won't have an opportunity to play against the Roses and Proteas this year," West said.

"However, we're hopeful that our team will make it onto the court for the Constellation Cup with the Silver Ferns later this year, depending on how the COVID-19 situation evolves in the coming months."

This year's Constellation Cup, which had been scheduled for October, will rely on trans-Tasman travel restrictions being eased.

It will also need to cater for the demands of pushed-back domestic leagues.

Australia's Super Netball was confirmed on Sunday as running from August to November.

New Zealand's domestic league resumes next month and finishes in late August.

Netball NZ head of high performance Keir Hansen said it was most likely the Constellation Cup will be scheduled after Super Netball's completion.


AAP