Super netball scramble after border call

The new Queensland border restrictions have forced Super Netball to reshuffle round one and rush the two Sydney teams to Brisbane to play their round-one match.

Super Netball.
Super Netball. Picture: Jono Searle/Getty Images

The Sydney Swifts and Giants will rush to Queensland this week with the opening round of Super Netball reshuffled due to tightened border restrictions.

The Giants were set to host West Coast Fever on Saturday in Sydney, while the Swifts and Adelaide Thunderbirds were slated to play on Sunday, also at Ken Rosewall Arena.

But Wednesday's announcement that Queensland will close its borders to all residents of greater Sydney, from 1am on Saturday because of rising coronavirus infections, has forced a round-one reshuffle.

The two Sydney outfits will fly north on Thursday to begin their campaigns in Brisbane.

They will square off on Sunday at Brisbane's Nissan Arena, while the Thunderbirds and Fever will bypass Sydney and meet in a round one match on Saturday in a double-header.

The Queensland Firebirds and Sunshine Lightning will still open the competition in the earlier match on Saturday at Nissan Arena.

The Melbourne Vixens and Collingwood Magpies, who are already in Brisbane, will play on Sunday evening during their final hours of quarantine.

Round-two matches which had been scheduled for Sydney will also be relocated.

Super Netball boss Chris Symington said the competition had put contingency plans in place for such a scenario.

'The league has understood from the beginning that this season would need to be flexible to ensure we're able to carry out a full 60-match competition and we have created a system and fixture to deal with the uncertainty of this health emergency," Symington said in a statement.

"The health and safety of all players, officials and support staff is paramount and, by moving all scheduled matches to Queensland this weekend and beyond, we're ensuring this safety, along with the sustainability of the season."

Competition officials have only announced the first six rounds and remain hopeful some matches can be played back in NSW or even Victoria, depending on infection rates and border restrictions.