Melbourne Victory are poised to avoid back-to-back hotel quarantine stints, allowing their players and staff to get home for Christmas and keeping their A-League season opener on track.
The majority of Victory's players and some staff have been in hotel quarantine in Sydney after their Asian Champions League campaign in Doha.
They will complete their 14-day quarantine on Tuesday, the same day the A-League and W-League are set to announce fixture re-shuffles to account for border closures.
Victoria on Sunday closed its borders to people from Sydney amid the city's escalating coronavirus cluster, and after midnight Monday even Victorians returning from the greater Sydney region or the Central Coast have to enter hotel quarantine for 14 days.
The timing of Victory's exit from Sydney meant if the club was unable to secure a travel exemption, players and staff would arrive in Victoria and immediately have to enter hotel quarantine again.
Victory are due to kick off their A-League season against Brisbane in Melbourne on January 2 - which would fall within a second 14-day quarantine period.
On Monday, the Victorian government indicated international travellers who completed hotel quarantine in Sydney and then headed directly to Melbourne would not face another stint in quarantine.
"We are working to excise the airport from the red zone, so that if you were to travel from a hotel to the airport, you have not visited a hotspot... so you can come back here," said Victorian premier Daniel Andrews.
"There might be some testing and a short time you have to stay home, but we are not envisaging people having to do another two weeks of hotel quarantine if you're coming out of hotel quarantine."
Modified fixtures for the A-League and W-League seasons, which are scheduled to kick off on December 27, are set to be released on Tuesday after multiple games in the opening round were due to be affected by border restrictions.
Head of leagues Greg O'Rourke previously confirmed any games affected by border closures will be postponed, with five A-League teams and two W-League teams based in the affected regions of NSW.
That includes incoming club Macarthur Bulls with ticket sales to the newcomers' home games postponed on Monday due to concerns over crowds and scheduling.
Football's elite leagues shape as the domestic competitions hit hardest by changing restrictions but cricket is also facing its challenges, with officials still to decide the fate of the SCG Test and the Sydney Big Bash League bubble in January.
BBL players have been told they will no longer be able to visit family homes in Queensland while they are in the state this week.
Meanwhile, NRL clubs Canberra and Melbourne have rushed players back home from Sydney holidays to beat border closures and ensure they are able to begin pre-season next month.
Clive Churchill Medallist Ryan Papenhuyzen's $900 ticket out of Sydney was detailed on social media, while several other Storm players are believed to have also made the dash.