American lays down challenge to Kambosos

Undefeated American boxer Devin Haney has firmed as favourite to be George Kambosos Jr's next opponent after retaining his WBC lightweight title in Las Vegas.

Devin Haney is vowing to strip George Kambosos Jr of all his newly won belts after retaining his WBC lightweight title with an unanimous points victory over fellow American JoJo Diaz Jr.

Haney improved his unbeaten record to 27-0 with a clinical win at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Sunday before agreeing to take on Kambosos in Australia next year in a unified super-fight for all four straps.

"Let's make it happen," Haney said.

"The fans want to see it, he wants to make it happen, I want to make it happen. It should be a very easy fight to make happen.

"I've never been (to Australia) but I'm looking forward to it. I'm gonna go pick up some belts out there."

Watching on from ringside, Kambosos congratulated Haney for his "brilliant" display but promised to expose the big-talking challenger if their blockbuster eventuates.

"I saw the holes there already - many holes. That's me as a fighter, I see things straight away," said Australia's newly crowned WBA, WBO and IBF lightweight champion.

"But I'm not going to outshine his moment. This is his moment. Full respect, great victory.

"He handled his business like I handled my business last week (against Teofimo Lopez) and let's get to the business side of things and now we can talk.

"I'm a natural under 135-pounder. I'm strong but I'm very explosive. I'm very fast so it's something he would never have seen in his life, just like Lopez had never seen it before in his life."

Kambosos wants his title defence in April or May in Sydney or Melbourne in front of 80,000 fans.

"Fans don't win fights, I do," Haney said.

"He has most of the belts so I have no problem with him being the favourite.

"Like he says, styles make fights. I still think I'm the best lightweight in the division but talk is cheap. We've got to go in there and settle it.

"Numbers don't matter when we go in there, so let's just do it."

Reports out of the US earlier on Sunday claimed Lopez was lucky to be alive after his pounding at the hands of Kambosos in New York last weekend.

Multiple doctors said Lopez risked his life and should have been in a hospital - rather than a boxing ring - when he lost to Kambosos at Madison Square Garden.

According to Lopez's medical records, the 24-year-old former undisputed champion was diagnosed by emergency room doctors during his post-fight check-up with "pneumomediastinum" and "extensive air in the retropharyngeal space" - where it shouldn't have been.

"He could have died, for sure," Dr. Linda Dahl, an otolaryngologist (ENT) with surgical privileges at three Manhattan hospitals, told ESPN.

"How he breathed, I can't even explain to you. It's like somebody tied a 300-pound set of weights around his chest ... like his neck and chest were in a vice."

But, in a chilling warning to Haney and his other divisional rivals, Kambosos claimed he only showed "about 15 to 20 per cent" of his potential against the previously undefeated Lopez.

"I got so much more to come. They ain't seen nothing yet," he said.

"I'm no one-hit wonder. I plan to reign for a very long time. I'm here to take over the world."