Up-skilled Hunt eyes Broncos NRL return

Karmichael Hunt is back at Brisbane after 11 years and says his skills are better than when he first left the NRL club as he targets a place in the halves.

KARMICHAEL HUNT.
KARMICHAEL HUNT. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images

Karmichael Hunt believes he'll return to the NRL with better skills than when he left 11 years ago, claiming a move to the halves for Brisbane would be "no worries" for the tri-code star.

Hunt left his mark with his barnstorming kick returns as the Broncos' fullback more than a decade ago but after stints in the AFL with Gold Coast and Super Rugby with Queensland Reds and the NSW Waratahs he's returned to Red Hill a different player.

With Hunt playing Queensland Cup for Souths Logan and an eye to coaching in the near future, Broncos coach Kevin Walters has drafted the 34-year-old into his training squad.

Hunt will be eligible to play in round 11 and it's in the halves he's most likely to feature.

Walters is in the market for an experienced playmaker for next season with five-eighth Anthony Milford's rich deal set to expire this year.

"Physically it's an adjustment, just that daily intensity is a step up," Hunt said before Brisbane tackle North Queensland on Saturday.

"But the body feels great and skills are maybe a bit better than when I was here last ... I'll leave those (aggressive kick returns) to Jamayne (Isaako).

"Sure (I can play in the halves); the last however many years I've been playing in the 12 (as a play-making inside centre) and have no issues directing the team around.

"My passing, kicking game, I've got no worries with."

Hunt's other task is to mentor the Broncos' young guns amid a significant roster overhaul for last year's wooden spooners.

Milford said on Wednesday he'd like to remain at the club but he is earing close to $1 million a season and has performed below his potential since starring in the Broncos' tight 2015 grand final loss.

Melbourne football boss Frank Ponissi confirmed on SEN Radio on Wednesday the Storm were chasing Brisbane and Queensland winger Xavier Coates to replace the departing Josh Addo-Carr.

Meanwhile, Broncos prop Matt Lodge said Walters had apologised to him after reports emerged he would be squeezed out of Red Hill.

"He rang and apologised for it and we had a conversation that I'll keep private, but I'm happy here," Lodge said.

The Broncos controversially offered Lodge a contract after he avoided jail time for a violent rampage in New York City in 2015.

"I've been in a lot worse places than this, I look back on where I've come from and I'm happy where I am," he said.

"I'm fine whatever happens; I came here four years ago with nothing and built a whole life."